Liberty Vineyards & Winery - www.libertywinery.com
(716) 672-4520, email@example.com
2861 US Route 20, Sheridan, NY 14135
Grilled Cheese and Tomato Sandwiches
Serve with Traminette or Richter Red wine
- 4 slices country-style bread
- 1/8 cup mayonnaise
- 8 oz. extra sharp white cheddar cheese
- 2 slices deli ham (medium-sliced)
- 1 large tomato
- Using a serrated knife, slice the tomato into thin slices. To remove excess moisture, place slices on a paper towel and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Allow to sit for 10 minutes; turn over and salt and pepper the other sides. Allow to sit for an additional 10 minutes.
- Heat large skillet over low heat. Place 2 slices of bread on counter. Slice cheese into approximately 1/4" slices, using a cheese slicer. Cover each slice of bread with layer of cheese.
- Lay 1 slice of ham over each cheese layer. Top with another 1/4" layer of cheese.
- Spread mayonnaise on 2 additional slices of bread. Place bread on top of sandwich, mayonnaise side out. Carefully lay each sandwich into skillet, mayonnaise side down. Allow to cook slowly for 4 to 5 minutes. Spread mayonnaise over the slices of bread on the top of sandwiches; carefully turn over to cook on the other side. Continue to cook until both sides are golden brown and the cheese is melted, about an additional 5 to 8 minutes.
- Transfer to a cutting board and carefully open each sandwich. Add a thin layer of tomato and close back up. Slice in half and serve. This is a wonderful accompaniment to the enclosed Tomato and Basil soup.